Coproduction in the Mediterranean Examples and recommendations
Coproduction is an industrial model based on new complementary factors between the North and South Mediterranean. It is not just wishful thinking. It is a reality.
This study aims to illustrate how it works in practice through nine case studies of companies whose coproduction strategies are already well established.
These industrial success stories are the fruit of private initiatives, taken both by companies in the North that have developed in the South and companies in the South that have set up in the North. They are also implemented by firms outside the region, from America and Asia, as part of their development in the greater Europe-Mediterranean-Africa region.
A detailed examination of these coproduction examples shows how important these strategic partnerships are for industrial development. They also illustrate the beneficial impacts for economies in the region: on both sides of the Mediterranean, coproduction creates jobs with a focus on shifting upmarket and sharing added value. Lastly, they show that, although already in place, if this movement is to expand and accelerate, it requires political impetus. In this regard, the study makes recommendations aimed at countries North and South of the Mediterranean and proposes setting up an observatory for monitoring and accompanying coproduction in the Mediterranean.
The annex provides a non-exhaustive list of companies implementing coproduction identified by IPEMED.
C O N T E N T S :
- COPRODUCTION STRATEGIES:: 9 EXAMPLES
- - Renault : Implementation of an automotive industry in Morocco
- - Cevital : Strategic reorganization of the production system
- - Siemens : The Maghreb as a regional skills base
- - Hikma : Expansion along North-South and South-South axes
- - Safran : More competitive North African subsidiaries
- - Jet Alu Maroc : Innovation and new regional markets
- - Sifaris : Alliance for growth with the South
- - Royal Air Maroc : Joint ventures and North-South synergy
- - Sofiprotéol : Reproducing an “Industry” strategy in the South
- - Recommendations for southern Mediterranean countries
- - Recommendations for northern Mediterranean countries
- PROPOSITION : CREATE A MEDITERRANEAN COPRODUCTION OBSERVATORY
- ANNEX : NON-EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF COPRODUCTION EXAMPLES IN THE MEDITERRANEAN